SHEEO is the national association of state higher education leaders who serve statewide coordinating and governing boards and other state policy agencies for higher education. This position primarily supports SHEEO’s efforts to develop state data and information resources by identifying, analyzing, and interpreting large data sets, transforming data into appropriate visualizations, effectively communicating information to multiple audiences, and responding to information requests.
The ideal candidate for this position will be naturally inquisitive, enthusiastic about working with higher education data, have a proven track record of effective data analysis, understand how data can inform policy and practice, and use this interest and knowledge to inform our members and the community about current activities and future trends in public higher education.
Required education and experience:
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus at least two years of experience in a role that requires similar skills are required.
A master’s degree may serve as a substitute for one year of experience.
- Interest in higher education and state policy
- Successful completion of coursework or demonstrated experience in statistics
- Experience setting up, managing, using and manipulating large data sets
- Ability to work in Microsoft Excel at a sophisticated level
- Basic knowledge of SPSS, Stata, or another statistical program
- Basic knowledge of SQL Server or other database management program
- Basic knowledge of Tableau or other data visualization program
- Ability to creatively analyze and visualize data and present it to non-technical audiences
- Strong customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Self-driven and comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work on multiple projects
- Knowledge of external data resources such as IPEDS, NPSAS, US Census Bureau
- Advanced skills in SQL Server and Tableau
- Previous experience conducting research on educational, economic, public policy, social, or demographic trends
Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate’s level of education and experience. SHEEO provides excellent staff benefits.
Please apply by email to David Szczesny (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include the following:
- Letter describing how you meet the requirements of the position, addressed to David Szczesny, SHEEO, 3035 Center Green Drive, #100, Boulder, CO 80301
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of three academic or professional references (References will not be contacted until you have given permission for us to do so.)
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by March 15, 2019.
The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) is the national association of the chief executives of statewide governing, policy, and coordinating boards of postsecondary education. Founded in 1954, SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, a liaison between states and the federal government, and a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers. SHEEO also serves as a manager of multistate teams and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. Together with its members, SHEEO advances public policies and academic practices that enable Americans to attain education beyond high school and achieve success in the 21st century economy.
This position is based in Boulder, Colorado. SHEEO is particularly interested in providing equal employment opportunities and employing a diverse staff. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org