The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) seeks candidates for a paid internship for spring 2022. This internship is appropriate for students pursuing graduate study in communications, marketing, higher education, public policy, public administration, and related fields. The ideal candidates will be motivated, detail oriented, highly collaborative, and interested in communications and/or higher education policy.
The focus of the internship will be providing support for SHEEO’s communications and public relations efforts. The communications intern will work directly with SHEEO’s strategic communications director and play a role in a variety of projects depending on the applicant’s skills, interests, and needs. Projects may include assisting with social media efforts, copy editing, developing collateral, creating materials for SHEEO events, and updating web properties. Opportunities to engage and collaborate with SHEEO’s internal staff and staff from a wide range of state agencies exist and will be extended based on the interests of the intern.
The internship will last approximately twelve weeks, beginning in mid-February 2022. Depending on the intern’s geographic location, the communications intern will have the option of working remotely or from our offices located in either Boulder, Colorado, or Washington, D.C. The position pays $20 per hour and interns will work at least 15 but not more than 37.5 hours per week, as set by mutual arrangement. This is a temporary position and not eligible for benefits. Successful past interns have sometimes been offered an extended contract to continue working past their allotted time frame.
SHEEO is seeking diverse applicants with the following qualifications:
- Current graduate student with graduate coursework in communications, marketing, higher education, public policy, public administration, or a related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to independently produce high-quality written communication content on behalf of SHEEO.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience and knowledge of WordPress or other content management system.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and/or other design-based programs, with an interest/talent in graphic design.
- Working knowledge and current user of social media.
- Experience or interest in event planning.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for communications, marketing, and/or public relations.
- Interest in activities related to higher education policy and research.
- Self-starter who is eager to learn.
Goals of the SHEEO Communications Internship Program:
- Enhance intern’s communications expertise, skills, and efficacy.
- Advance SHEEO’s internal and external communications efforts.
- Increase knowledge of communications in higher education policy.
- Provide networking opportunities with internal staff members.
Please apply by email to email@example.com and include the following:
- Letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position and contact information for two references (references will not be contacted until applicant has been informed), addressed to:
Strategic Communications Director
State Higher Education Executive Officers Association
3035 Center Green Drive, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
- Résumé or curriculum vitae.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by January 21, 2022.
SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and believes that recruiting and developing a diverse and inclusive staff is vital to the organization’s success. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.