The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) seeks candidates for a paid internship for the summer of 2022. This internship is appropriate for students pursuing graduate study in higher education, public policy, public administration, and related fields. The ideal candidate will be a motivated, active learner interested in higher education policy and governance, policy analysis, and research methods. We are particularly interested in diverse applicants with an interest in higher education finance.
The internship’s focus will be providing support for SHEEO’s research, data, and policy analysis efforts as they relate to the State Higher Education Finance (SHEF) project. SHEEO’s summer 2022 intern may assist with a variety of projects depending on the intern’s skills and interests and SHEEO’s needs. These may include original data collection and analysis relating to state and federal higher education finance, collaborating with SHEEO agencies, responding to data requests, constructing datasets, drafting white papers, and completing an independent research project using SHEEO data. The intern will also have the opportunity to attend the SHEEO Higher Education Policy Conference in Indianapolis, IN, which we plan to hold in person from August 8 through 11, 2022.
SHEEO seeks and strongly encourages individuals from historically underrepresented or marginalized groups to apply. The internship duration is flexible and will last for approximately eight to 12 weeks, beginning in May or early June. The position has the option of working remotely or in our Boulder, Colorado, office. A living stipend is available for those interested in relocating to Boulder for the summer. The intern position will pay $23 per hour. The intern will work 20-37.5 hours per week, with hours by mutual arrangement. Successful past interns have been offered an extended contract to continue working remotely throughout the year.
SHEEO is seeking diverse applicants with the following qualifications:
- Completed coursework in higher education, public policy, public administration, statistics, research methods, economics, sociology, or a related field.
- Experience working with large quantitative datasets, with knowledge of federal higher education datasets preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong facility with Microsoft Excel, with data visualization skills preferred.
- Previous experience or interest in learning how to update web properties, in particular using WordPress.
- Previous experience or interest in learning Adobe Creative Suite, in particular InDesign.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest in state or federal higher education finance.
- Enthusiasm for and curiosity about state higher education policy and data-informed policymaking.
- A commitment to advancing equity and student success in higher education.
Goals of the SHEEO State Policy Internship Program:
- Advancing understanding of state higher education policy and governance.
- Advancing equity and diversity in state higher education policy and governance.
- Increasing the skills and knowledge of those who work within the state higher education policy field.
- Increasing the interest of current graduate students in state higher education policy and governance.
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, and contact information for two references, addressed to:
Dr. David Tandberg
Senior Vice President of Policy Research & Strategic Initiatives State Higher Education Executive Officers Association
3035 Center Green Drive, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
2. Résumé or curriculum vitae.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by March 14, 2022.
SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and believes that recruiting and developing a diverse and inclusive staff is vital to the organization’s success. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.