About the organization
The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) serves the chief executives of statewide governing, policy, and coordinating boards of postsecondary education and their staffs. Founded in 1954, SHEEO promotes an environment that values higher education and its role in ensuring the equitable education of all Americans, regardless of race/ethnicity, gender, or socioeconomic factors. Together with its members, SHEEO aims to achieve this vision by equipping state higher education executive officers and their staffs with the tools to effectively advance the value of higher education, promoting public policies and academic practices that enable all Americans to achieve success in the 21st century, and serving as an advocate for state higher education leadership.
SHEEO is particularly interested in providing equal employment opportunities and employing a diverse staff. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.
About the position
The position will be based in Washington, D.C. and is eligible for a hybrid remote/in-office work schedule. Reporting to the Vice President for Government Relations, this position develops, implements, and maintains a comprehensive and multi-faceted communications strategy for SHEEO and its membership. This position provides oversight and direction for SHEEO’s internal and external communications, including website, social media, print publications, and email marketing.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and maintain a communications strategy to expand the reach and deepen the impact of SHEEO and its membership.
- Utilize various communications and media outlets including, but not limited to social media; email distributions; print media; policymaker and partner engagements; and websites to target specific audiences and disseminate compelling messages.
- Draft, edit, and approve SHEEO publications, presentations, and web content in accordance with SHEEO style practices.
- Produce and maintain SHEEO’s style guide, graphics, and organizational branding.
- Establish and maintain workflow for SHEEO publications.
- Update, maintain, and oversee SHEEO web properties.
- Develop and maintain relationships with education journalists and other members of the postsecondary policy community. Serves as point-of-contact for all media requests and earned media.
- Monitor the efficacy of SHEEO communications efforts through analytics and media logs.
- Provide SHEEO members with communications support and consultation, including convening communication officers from member organizations.
- Provide oversight for event planning and agenda development for SHEEO’s Annual Meeting.
- Help develop agendas and “run of show” procedures for SHEEO events; provide logistical and communications support at events.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus at least five years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field. A master’s degree may serve as substitute for one-two year(s) of experience.
Qualifications: We are looking for a combination of the following skills and background.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills. Proven writing and editing skills.
- Experience in relationship-building with the media, peer organizations, and education policy leaders.
- Experience developing and increasing a social media presence.
- Experience managing and maintaining website content, experience with WordPress is a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, attention to detail, and flexibility to shift priorities or course as needed.
- Familiarity with higher education policy, state systems, or nonprofit communications.
- Experience with event planning and promotion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite.
Location and Travel:
This position is based in Washington, D.C., and is eligible for a hybrid remote/in-office work schedule and will require periodic national travel.
Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate’s experience and demonstrated skill level, with a potential range of $90,000 to $100,000. SHEEO provides a comprehensive benefits package, including educational assistance.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of September 18, 2022.
Please apply through this website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and believes that recruiting and developing a diverse and inclusive staff is vital to the success of the organization.
Learn more and apply at https://sheeo.hiringthing.com/job/488296/strategic-communications-director.