The State Higher Education Officers Association (SHEEO) announces the third annual SHEEO Excellence Awards, which recognize the leadership, dedication, and innovation of exceptional SHEEOs, agency staff, and agencies.
- For the Exceptional Leader and Exceptional Agency awards, award decisions will be made by a committee of SHEEOs, SHEEO staff, and the SHEEO president. The Exceptional Leader Award will be presented at the SHEEO Annual Meeting and the Exceptional Agency Award will be presented at the SHEEO Higher Education Policy Conference.
- For the David L. Wright Memorial Award, SHEEO is seeking nominations, and a committee of agency and SHEEO staff will review nominations and make award decisions. The David L. Wright Memorial Award will be presented at the SHEEO Higher Education Policy Conference.
The SHEEO 2020 David L. Wright Memorial Award nomination form can be found at http://bit.ly/sheeoawards20.
- March 4, 2020 Call for nominations
- April 17, 2020 Nominations due for the David L. Wright Award
- May 2020 Selection committee meets and selects recipients
- June 5, 2020 Recipients notified
Exceptional Leader Award – Presented to a current state higher education executive officer from a member agency who has shown exceptional leadership, a commitment to higher education, a contribution to the greater good, and service to the SHEEO Association within the last year.
Exceptional Agency Award – Presented to a member agency whose innovative actions, policies, or practices advanced student success in their state; which displayed exceptional governance practices; which overcame exceptional challenges; or displayed other meritorious attributes within the last year.
The David L. Wright Memorial Award – This award is named in honor of the late David Wright, an esteemed colleague and leader in state higher education, who served in the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association, and the Florida Governing Board. This award recognizes a current SHEEO agency staff member, from a member agency, who embodies the exceptional commitment, work ethic, and ethical practices of David Wright, and who has made outstanding contributions to their agency.
Exceptional Leader Award
2019 – Glen Johnson, Oklahoma State System of Higher Education
2018 – Teresa Lubbers, Indiana Commission for Higher Education
Exceptional Agency Award
2019 – University System of Georgia
2018 – Idaho State Board of Education
David L. Wright Memorial Award
2019 – Paula Compton, Ohio Department of Higher Education
2018 – Andrew Rauch, Colorado Department of Higher Education