The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) seeks candidates for a paid internship for the fall of 2021. This internship is appropriate for students pursuing graduate study in communications, marketing, higher education, public policy, public administration, and related fields. The ideal candidates will be motivated, detail-oriented, active learners interested in communications and/or higher education policy with a desire and motivation to learn.
The focus of the internship will be providing support for SHEEO’s communications and public relations efforts. SHEEO’s fall 2021 communications intern will work directly with SHEEO’s strategic communications director and play a role in a variety of projects depending on the intern’s skills and interests and SHEEO’s needs. Projects may include assisting with social media efforts, copy editing, developing collateral, updating web properties, and designing professional development opportunities for SHEEO internal and/or agency staff. The communications intern will also have the opportunity to attend the SHEEO Higher Education Policy Conference in Washington, D.C., which we plan to hold in person from November 9 through 12, 2021.
The internship will last approximately twelve weeks, beginning in October. The communications intern will have the option of working remotely or from our Boulder, Colorado, or Washington, D.C., office (depending on intern’s geographic location). The intern position will pay $20 per hour. Interns will work at least 15 but not more than 37.5 hours per week, with hours set by mutual arrangement. This is a temporary position that is not eligible for benefits. Successful past interns have been offered an extended contract to continue working past their allotted time frame.
SHEEO is seeking diverse applicants with the following qualifications:
- Current graduate student with completed graduate coursework in communications, marketing, higher education, public policy, public administration, or a related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite with an interest/talent in graphic design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to independently produce high-quality written communication content on behalf of SHEEO
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for communications, marketing, and/or public relations
- Interest in higher education policy
- Self-starter who is eager to learn
Goals of the SHEEO Communications Internship Program:
- Increasing the communications expertise and skills of the selected intern
- Advancing communications efforts of SHEEO
- Increasing the knowledge of communications in the higher education policy field
Please apply by email to email@example.com and include the following:
- Letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, and contact information for two references (references will not be contacted until applicant has been informed), addressed to:
Strategic Communications Director
State Higher Education Executive Officers Association
3035 Center Green Drive, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by August 20, 2021.
SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and believes that recruiting and developing a diverse and inclusive staff is vital to the organization’s success. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.