The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) seeks candidates for two paid internships for the summer of 2021. These internships are appropriate for students pursuing graduate study in higher education, public policy, public administration, and related fields. The ideal candidates will be motivated, active learners interested in higher education policy and governance, policy analysis, and research methods. We are particularly interested in applicants with interest in higher education finance or college closures.
The focus of the internships will be providing support for SHEEO’s research, data, and policy analysis efforts. SHEEO’s summer 2021 interns may assist with a variety of projects depending on the interns’ skills and interests and SHEEO’s needs. These may include original data collection and analysis, offering assistance to SHEEO agencies, responding to data requests, constructing datasets, drafting white papers, and designing professional development opportunities for SHEEO agency staff. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend the SHEEO Higher Education Policy Conference in Washington, D.C., which we plan to hold in person from November 9 through 12, 2021.
The internships will last for approximately eight weeks, beginning in early June. Interns will have the option of working remotely or in our Boulder, Colorado office. The intern positions will pay $20 per hour. Interns will work 20-37.5 hours per week, with hours by mutual arrangement. Successful past interns have been offered an extended contract to continue working remotely throughout the year.
SHEEO is seeking diverse applicants with the following qualifications:
- Completed coursework in higher education, public policy, public administration, statistics, research methods, economics, sociology, or a related field.
- Experience working with large quantitative datasets.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong facility with Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for and curiosity about state higher education policy and data-informed policymaking, particularly in the areas of state finance or college closures.
- A commitment to advancing equity and student success in higher education.
- Proficiency in a statistical software package (Stata, SPSS, R, Python, etc.) preferred.
- Knowledge of federal higher education datasets preferred.
Goals of the SHEEO State Policy Internship Program:
- Advancing understanding of state higher education policy and governance.
- Advancing equity and diversity in state higher education policy and governance.
- Increasing the skills and knowledge of those who work within the state higher education policy field.
- Increasing the interest of current graduate students in state higher education policy and governance.
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, and contact information for two references, addressed to:
Dr. David Tandberg
Senior Vice President of Policy Research & Strategic Initiatives
State Higher Education Executive Officers Association
3035 Center Green Drive, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
- Résumé or curriculum vitae.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by April 9, 2021.
SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and believes that recruiting and developing a diverse and inclusive staff is vital to the organization’s success. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.