SHEEO Position Announcement in Boulder, Colorado
SHEEO seeks to fill a postdoctoral fellowship. SHEEO is the national association of state higher education leaders who serve statewide coordinating and governing boards and other state higher education agencies. This position supports SHEEO’s efforts to perform high-quality analysis, policy evaluation and research; advance critical programs and projects; provide assistance to SHEEO members; advance SHEEO’s strategic vision; and contribute to the intellectual and knowledge base of the higher education policy field. SHEEO responds to the changing needs of its members and the state higher education community and regularly pursues new projects that meet our members’ needs and align with the mission of the organization. This position will identify and develop and work in these new areas. Additionally, this position will join all other SHEEO staff in general membership outreach and support.
SHEEO seeks and encourages diverse applicants. The ideal candidate for this position will be enthusiastic about state policy in higher education, have advanced research skills, have knowledge of or experience with SHEEO agencies, be conversant in a wide range of public policy issues in higher education, and understand how data can inform policy and practice. The successful candidate will use this enthusiasm, knowledge, and skills to inform our members and the community about current activities and future trends in public higher education for the purposes of advancing educational attainment, closing equity gaps, and benefiting our states.
The fellowship is fully funded for two years with the possibility of continuation depending upon interest, performance, and funding.
Education and Experience
An earned doctoral degree in a relevant field by the start date.
Required Skills and Attributes
- A passion for advancing educational and economic opportunity, diversity, equity, and social mobility
- evaluate, interpret, and appropriately utilize relevant research
- address equity gaps
- think independently and creatively to develop and advance original ideas and projects which advance SHEEO’s mission
- conduct research on educational, economic, public policy, social, or demographic trends
- work independently
- establish priorities and coordinate multiple projects
- work cooperatively as part of a team
- think strategically when solving simple and complex problems
- produce relevant papers, reports, and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to successfully obtain outside funding for special projects
- Previous experience conducting education, social science, public policy, or other research
- Interest in higher education and state policy
- Knowledge of higher education data systems and external data resources such as IPEDS, NPSAS, U.S. Census Bureau
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite with specific skills in Excel
- Fluency in advanced research software (e.g., Stata, R, SPSS)
- Attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate’s experience and demonstrated skill level. SHEEO provides excellent staff benefits.
- Please apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Letter describing how you meet the requirements of the position, addressed to David Szczesny, SHEEO, 3035 Center Green Drive, Suite 100, Boulder, CO 80301
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing sample
- Names and contact information of three academic or professional references (References will not be contacted until you have given permission for us to do so.)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by June 11, 2019.
SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
The position will be based in Boulder, Colorado. SHEEO is particularly interested in providing equal employment opportunities and employing a diverse staff. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.